Saturday 19 February 2011

Kelly Groucutt Anniversary

The first album I ever bought was ELO's Out of the Blue. That was also in the year that the space shuttle had its first flight (see previous post). Unlike the space shuttle, my Out of the Blue has never gone into retirement.



I have owned it on vinyl (bright blue), cassette, CD, and now Spotify, and I dare not even think how many times I have played it. It is one of the most reliable companions I have ever had in my life. It has always been with me wherever I have gone, has never aged, has never disappointed and has always been uplifting. I was very sad when I learned of the death of Kelly Groucutt, ELO's influential bass guitarist and backing singer, two years ago today. He was a big part of their sound and took centre stage in the unofficial ELO that followed the band's split from Jeff Lynne some years back.


In recent years, Kelly popped up on our screens in the most unexpected of places. He appeared on Can't Cook, Won't Cook battling it out with former ELO & Wizzard vocalist Roy Wood (I wish it could be Christmas Every Day) and was even in the line up on Never Mind the Buzzcocks (without his trademark curly locks - he went bald). Personally, I will always appreciate his fantastic bass work on songs like So Fine, from the album A New World Record - a full-on, up-beat, happy, funky, musical delight. I defy you not to love the bass guitar on this. If you do, then you are deaf or mad or stupid - or very likely, all three.

3 comments:

  1. I love it, thus disproving your statement, because I am deaf, mad and stupid.

    Downloaded to my music folder. If you ever want to do that, try http://www.video2mp3.net

    ReplyDelete
  2. Actually, if I were to disprove your statement, would I have to show that I am 'not deaf' OR 'not mad' OR 'not stupid'.

    OR

    Would I have to prove that I am 'not deaf' AND 'not mad' AND 'not stupid'.

    I think we should invoke DeMorgan's Law which states:

    "The negation of a conjunction is the disjunction of the negations." and
    "The negation of a disjunction is the conjunction of the negations."

    According to DeMorgan, if d represents the state of being deaf, m the state of being mad, and s the state of being stupid, then

    !(d | m | s) = !d & !m & !s

    Therefore, in order to disprove your statement, I would have to be not deaf AND not stupid AND not mad, rather than any of those.

    What was the question again?

    ReplyDelete
  3. Aaargh! Set Theory! Run!

    Never my favourite at school. And/Or/Nand and so on. I prefer fuzzy set theory (it really exists) - where you can be a member of a set by degrees. So, I suggest that, whilst you like the music, you are still a bit deaf, not particularly stupid and just mad enough to be sane.

    Give me a ladder leaning against a wall any day.

    ReplyDelete