Wednesday 25 May 2011

How much for a belt?

A man's belt. A piece of leather with holes in and a buckle. Us men wear them - it stops our pants from collecting around our ankles and saves us from being arrested (the last time was a one-off, your honour). But how much should a man pay for this service?

My belt - from Matalan - cost about £6. It is a piece of leather with holes in and a buckle and I haven't been arrested for having my pants around my ankles for ages - at least, not since I finished my community service. It does its job. What more could a man want?


This is a Louis Vuitton belt. It is a piece of leather with holes in and a buckle and it keeps your trousers up. Much like a belt should. Except that it costs £415. For a belt. Seriously?!

Am I missing something here? What does this belt do that my belt doesn't? I don't have an answer to that question without somehow tapping into a side of the human psyche that I am just don't understand. I don't get it. I know - beyond certainty - that if I somehow won millions on the Lottery, there is no way that I would part with over £400 for a piece of leather with holes in and a buckle.


Maybe it's me. Maybe I just don't get it. But if there is an 'it' to get, I am not sure that I want to get 'it'. I will happily do without (I don't have much choice anyway). I will take my Matalan belt any day. If that says something about me, then let it be said. Or let me belt up instead.

1 comment:

  1. Louis Vitton stuff looks like crap. I can't understand why anyone with money buys it at any price.

    ReplyDelete