Sunday 1 May 2011

Older, but not necessarily Wiser

Ted Lowe, the veteran snooker commentator has died. He chose to die on today of all days - just as the Final of the World Snooker Championship was kicking off in Sheffield. Typical!

'Whispering' Ted Lowe

The tributes from the world of snooker, assembled in Sheffield for the final, have been generous and effusive. Ted was known to all the players and he was the voice of snooker just as the game became a major TV sport. He was a bit of a pioneer - an ex-manager of a snooker hall who almost fell into commentating by accident. His particular style earned him the nickname 'Whispering' Ted Lowe - his voice really was very distinctive and delivered in a hushed tone. But that is as far as I am prepared to go. I was not a fan of Ted's.

In fact, outside of the tight-knit world of professional snooker, I don't know anyone who was a fan. Ted was 'old school' - he lived in a world of keen amateurs that inhabited the BBC and really knew very little about the technical aspects of the game he covered. And it showed. His commentary was vapid - full of fluffy platitudes and inconsequential information. Unlike modern snooker commentators - all of whom are ex-professionals - there was rarely any real insight into what was unfolding on the table. He didn't predict, didn't explain and didn't illuminate. He could tell you the player's age, his birthplace (oft repeated, for some reason) and all sorts of useless and irrelevant facts.

OMG - Ted's commentating!

So, whilst others are paying tribute to the man's art, I doubt that I am not alone amongst snooker fans in believing that he wasn't very good. In fact, I will go further. He was quite irritating. Ted's commentary was improved by a single button on my remote control - the mute button. And before you accuse me of being uncharitable, I should tell you that that is exactly what I used to do. So, whilst I am sorry the old geezer has gone to the great commentary box in the sky, I will happily stick to the young guns who know what they are talking about.

2 comments:

  1. They should put him in a spherical coffin and hit it with a huge stick held by all the mourners. See if they can pot him in one.

    Aw come on, it would be classy.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I agree. And Chas & Dave could give a rendition of their top 10 hit, 'Snooker Loopy' as the giant cue is wielded by the mourners.

    I think it is what he would have wanted.

    ReplyDelete