Saturday 14 May 2011

What an amazing coincidence!

I have noticed something amazing about my debit card today. Talk about coincidences! This one nearly blew me away and I have my giant intellect to thank for piecing this together. Here's what I noticed...

What a coincidence!

My current account number is made up of the last four house/flat numbers I have occupied in the correct sequence... 02, 19, 45, and my current one, 31 - isn't that amazing? And it gets better - my sort code (23-06-12) is the exact date of Alan Turing's birth, the mathematician who contributed so much to the breaking of the Germans' wartime codes. He was born on the 23rd June 1912. What about that for a coincidence?

Code-breaker Alan Turing

Obviously my pin number and security words are not coincidental as they were made up by me. Some people are stupid enough to pick obviously connected numbers like the date and month of their birth - stupid, because they are easy for fraudsters to guess. No such idiocy for me - I chose the sequence of prime numbers starting from 2 (i.e. 2357) and my security question & answer is an absolute corker. Who would have thought of choosing 'My first pet was called?' as the question and 'Nothing' as the answer? You see, I have never owned a pet. Clever, eh?

Lightning bolts of intelligence flash out of my brain

It may take brains to come up with smart security words and numbers, but I had nothing to do with the account number and sort codes - they were assigned to me by my bank and the issuing branch of the Nationwide in Tiverton were not to know of the coincidences involved. Still, even if somebody was to correctly guess my account number and sort code, they are not likely to bypass the rest of the security - as you can see, I have made sure of that. And that is the value of having a great brain like mine - no one gets to rip you off.

In your face, fraudsters!

6 comments:

  1. That's fascinating, especially the fact about Turing's birthday. You should be more careful with disclosing those facts though considering that you've got a hell of a lot of money in that account.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oh don't worry. I check my statements at least two or three times a year, so I will notice any funny business within months of its occurrence. I have also accepted the services of a Nigerian financial expert who is helping me invest in his pastor's mega-church.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Well if there's one thing the Nigerians know about, it's financial assistance. They're always offering people money. They must be a very rich and generous people. All the more tragic that so many of the country's important people die unexpectedly in plane crashes without leaving a will.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I am not so sure that they have that much money in Nigeria. My atlas informs me that Nigeria is apparently somewhere near Africa. They must have infrastructure problems there, as I am currently unable to contact my financial assistant who had just deposited a large slice of my assets with the mega-church. Doubtless, my funds will help them rectify the problem.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Thank goodness your money is being invested in a church. At least you know you are dealing with good honest people.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Africa is a wonderful country and cities like Nigeria have a number of these mega-churches. I am having a little difficulty contacting 'mine' at present. Doubtless, they will come and find me when it is time to pay me back. For that reason, I will just leave them to get on with investing my money. I have faith in them.

    ReplyDelete